Dirk van Zyl
Called to bar 2004
I have appeared as lead and/or junior counsel in or before:
- All High Courts in South Africa
- The Supreme Court of Appeal
- The Constitutional Court of South Africa
- Judicial Inquests
- The Zondo Commission of Inquiry
- Locally and Internationally Administered Commercial Arbitrations
- Dispute Adjudication Boards (DABs)
- NEC3 and NEC4 Dispute Adjudication Tribunals
- Various Parliamentary Portfolio Committees
- The Council for Medical Schemes and Associated Tribunals
- The South African Council for the Architectural Profession Disciplinary Committee
As counsel I have acted and continue to act on instruction from local and foreign law firms on behalf of local and multi-national companies and State Owned Companies in disputes pertaining to commercial matters and high value construction projects in South Africa, Botswana, Namibia and Mozambique.
These projects include:
- The Gautrain Rapid Rail Link (Gautrain Project)
- The Medupi and Kusile Power Stations
- Transnet’s New Multi-Product Pipeline Project
- The Husab Mine project
As Arbitrator and Adjudicator:
I am a member of the Commercial Arbitration Panel of the Arbitration Foundation of Southern Africa (AFSA).
I am regularly appointed as an arbitrator or adjudicator in commercial and construction disputes administered by AFSA and privately.
As Acting Judge:
I have acted as a judge in the Gauteng Division of the High Court of South Africa.
Multinational Forensic and Compliance Investigations:
I have participated and continue to participate in multi-jurisdictional forensic fraud and compliance investigations in conjunction with both local and foreign based law firms on behalf of multinational clients.
- Conducting forensic and compliance investigations and interviews of witnesses both in South Africa and abroad as lead counsel.
- Representing clients in making representations to and participating in engagements and dispute resolutions with law enforcement and prosecution authorities, i.e. the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (the Hawks), the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA), as well as the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) and the Securities and Exchange Commission of the United States of America.
Institution: University of Johannesburg
Qualification: Bachelor of Laws (LL.B)
Institution: University of the Witwatersrand
Qualification: Post Graduate Diploma in Business Management
Institution: University of Stellenbosch
Qualification: BA (Value and Policy Studies)
Majors: Political Studies, Philosophy, Economics.